5 Facts about Massimo Vignelli, the Designer Behind NYC’s Original Subway Map
1. Massimo Vignelli was an immigrant, born in Milan, Italy, in 1931.
2. From Curbed New York: “Together with designer Bob Noorda…Vignelli introduced the typeface and design quirks found throughout the transit system, including the now-iconic color scheme used to denote the various subway lines.”
3. Vignelli also designed the Bloomingdale’s shopping bags and the interior of St. Peter’s Church.
4. His wife, Lella, was a pioneering designer in her own right. Together, they founded Vignelli Associates in 1971.
5. Vignelli was passionate about design as an art, and shared his knowledge with generations of emerging talent. Some of his publications include: The Vignelli Canon (2009) and Vignelli A to Z (2007).
Want to learn more about the NYC subway? Read more on its haunted past!