Manager of Tour Guide Operations
Are you looking for a job with growth potential and the ability to make a positive impact? We got both.
As a fast-growing company, we have opportunities for people who demonstrate leadership and competency to grow into more senior roles. Currently our General Managers of Paris, Rome, Barcelona, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Dallas all started out as either entry level operations staff or tour guide.
We aim to delight our customers everyday and to build tours with positive community impact. The smiles of appreciation, positive reviews and industry accolades energize us to keep striving on our mission to create the better tour experience.
Our culture is one of exceeding expectations for our customers and our employees. We try to be better by working hard, smart and innovating through experimentation. You got ideas? We have a large platform to try them out.
About the Job
The Manager of Tour Guide Operations will define and oversee implementation of all activities related to the qualitative aspects of the tour guide role. To this end, he/she will manage all functions from hiring to quality control. He/she will work in partnership with the management to ensure there is a qualitative approach from a brand and experience perspective, which ultimately delivers sales and net profitability.
- Manage all hiring in conjunction with Human Resources and General Managers where applicable
- Setting training standards, materials and updates at general company and tour/market specific levels
- Manages tour guide handbook
- Creates quality control mechanism to measure and monitor each guide, including, but not limited to, adherence to physical appearance, courteous treatment of guests, solutions for frequent on site issues (location mgmt/access issues, guest ticket issues, late guest arrivals) “Secret shopper” program, etc.
- Establish procedures to monitor and measure availability metrics
- Establish and implement process for guide scheduling rationale, frequency and “guaranteed” schedules
- Collaborate with Sr. Management on new tour rationale and best practices
- Establishing process to incorporate new technology for enhanced tour experiences
- Mange utilization of tour guides as content providers to support marketing initiatives
- Ensure all our guide licenses are up to date
- Ensuring tour content/scripts are up to date and relevant
- Manage tour guide trainers
- Annual reviews and bi-annual dialogues, along with performance improvement plans
- Stay abreast of industry trends and apply where applicable
- Conduct market research and competitor analysis in conjunction with area managers and executive team
- Travel to industry trade shows as required and applicable to stay abreast of the industry trends at large
- Conflict management and resolution
- Oversee consumer reviews and identify strengths and weaknesses and adjust accordingly
- Ensure professionalism with guests and colleagues
- An objective leader and manager who can lead a multi faceted staff
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive responsibility in a related industry where delivering an experience to consumers is the core of the organization
- Ideal candidate has a combination of the following skills: Tour guide, human resources and onsite guest relations experience
- Goal-oriented and entrepreneurial mindset, coupled with a willingness to learn
- Outstanding attention to detail in order to maximize opportunities
- High standards in the delivery of the guest experience
- Ability to create, administer and monitor policies and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, hospitality or a related field is a plus
- Ability to multi-task and quickly adapt to changes in consumer behavior and the tourism market
- Available to travel as needed